32 replies to this topic

#1 Face

Face

Warrant Officer 4

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  • Interests:Sci Fi and aircraft mostly

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

Since I'm stuck waiting for decals for my Enterprise-E, I decided to go digging through my closet for another project to tide me over in the meantime... as it happens, I had completely forgotten I even owned this model, the parts were strewn about all over hell's half acre, I'd find half a nacelle in one box, the clear parts in another, the engineering section in still another... 3 hours of digging around and finally I managed to find it all! So, since I want to build every Enterprise eventually anyway, what better model to get a start on!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

Pretty much the first thing I noticed when I laid this thing out to examine it was the raised panel lines all over the ship... ugh, time to do some surgery, as according to my references(which are extensive, thanks Killa!), the hull surfaces are essentially smooth, apart from the recessed deflector grid lines, the phaser arrays and lifeboat hatches. So, after several hours with a hobby knife with a chisel bit and a few sheets of 220grit sandpaper, I managed to eliminate the panel lines. Sadly I ended up with a few nicks and gouges in the hull, but those can be patched easily. The saucer is about 13"/33cm across, and the whole ship is about 17"/44cm long, a little bit shorter than my E-E, but they are the same scale so they'll look great side by side.

The deflector dish was done fairly quickly, I handpainted the clear blue portion, then when it was dry I masked off the ring and the centre portion of the back mounting plate and sprayed a custom yellow/orange colour that I originally mixed for the thruster blocks of my E-A and happened to be an almost perfect colour match! I've already glued the engineering section together, but the deflector opening is quite large enough that I can insert and remove the deflector easy so I won't have to do any masking

Anyway, I have to head down to the hobby shop later, I'm out of sandpaper and I still have panel lines on the nacelles to get rid of... good times, I should have a bigger update by tomorrow or thursday

Back from retirement... again...

youtube twitter

#2 Kila2000

Kila2000

Major General

• Members
  • 2,591 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Models, Computers, Anything Sci-Fi.

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:43 AM

Sweet! Looking forward to this one. I'm sure you'll do a great job of it too. My one is about 80% finished, only had the top saucer section to go, but I've decided I'm gonna strip everything, sand the panel lines like you and light it up!!
Attached File  Enterprise_D___engineering_top.JPG   53.98KB   6 downloads
Attached File  Enterprise_D___saucer_bottom.JPG   61.09KB   6 downloads
Attached File  Enterprise_D___saucer_top_top.JPG   52.94KB   6 downloads

You gonna get the aztec maskings for this one? Cos believe me, hand painting hem is a buger, especialy once the panel lines come off. Dont forget the 'missing' windows just forward of the Captains Yacht and I'm sure I saw DLM installing 10 Forward in one pic I got of his. Lastly, how you gonna do the windows? Gel pens?

ps, sorry to temporarily steal your thread with my pics, at least it'll show people the difference between my poor attempt and the awesome work you produce.
Wil, the Kiwi

Visit my Photobucket account for pics of my Deep Space 9

Recently completed
Ferrari 348ts
Toyota MR2

Current WIP
AMT/ERTL Deep Space 9 light up project

"We are of peace, always."
Anna - V

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

#3 Face

Face

Warrant Officer 4

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:30 AM

nah I'm not gonna bother with the aztec paint, this is just gonna be another quick project, I'll probably have it knocked out in a week

yours looks great though, but I can see why you'd wanna light it

youtube twitter

#4 Kila2000

Kila2000

Major General

• Members
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:33 AM

nah I'm not gonna bother with the aztec paint, this is just gonna be another quick project, I'll probably have it knocked out in a week

yours looks great though, but I can see why you'd wanna light it

Pity about the aztec, I was hoping to get some insights following your work. I'm pretty sure I'm get the vinyls for mine when I redo it. As far as lighting it, these kits are just itching to be lit dont you think? One thing I'd love to do is get ahold of another E D and get the transkit to convert it to a Nebula Class ship, and of course light it. I have plans to light up my Romulan Warbird which came in the 3 piece adversary set along with a Klingon BOP and Ferengi Marauder. Those two are quite small but I wanna try and get some light into them too, somehow.

Anyway, back to your build buddie. Are you using the kit decals or going aftermarket with the life pods decals and stuff?
Wil, the Kiwi

Recently completed
Ferrari 348ts
Toyota MR2

Current WIP

Anna - V

#5 peter

peter

Commander in Chief

• Root Admin
  • 13,445 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Music, Model Building...

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

Nice start Sam, i'll be watching... Kila, you did some pretty neat work with that build, I'm looking forward to you revisiting this one.
Last three completed
MechaGodzilla
Ferrari 348TB
Bandai Pegila

In Progres
Yamaha YZR-M1 (2004)
Garamon
Hummer

My Bike Touring Blog
My Art Blog
My Kayak and Fishing Blog

"The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it." Arnold Glasow

#6 CanabisRex

CanabisRex

Sergeant

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Mostly sci fi kits and maybe a few figures here and there.

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

What??
No Aztec, no Lights???

Oh well... I think the model is coming along pretty well. And I never thought about removing the panel lines before.. I think I was just elated that I had some kind of pattern to work from for painting, but I think the overall look of the smooth hull does make a difference in trying to achieve the illusion of scale.
IF Julius Cesar was anything, like me, he'd realize that friends are just people who are just too scared to stab you in the back.

#7 Face

Face

Warrant Officer 4

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:15 AM

As far as lighting it, these kits are just itching to be lit dont you think?

Anyway, back to your build buddie. Are you using the kit decals or going aftermarket with the life pods decals and stuff?

with a build like this I just couldn't be bothered to light it, same with my E-E. Sure the clear parts in the nacelles and impulse engines would look great, but what about the windows? I could never leave them unlit, but these kits don't have cutout windows, so I'd have to do each and every one myself, then make new windows with white glue or Krystal Klear or something... too much work when all I want to do is just knock thse last few Enterprises out and finish my fleet

maybe someday I'll come back and do another one, or even better, maybe some company will release a 1/350 lightable E-D and E-E kit... they'd be around 2m long at that scale, how awesome would that be!

and yes, I am going aftermarket, the kit's decals are 20 years old and I don't trust them one little bit

youtube twitter

#8 Kila2000

Kila2000

Major General

• Members
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:29 AM

and yes, I am going aftermarket, the kit's decals are 20 years old and I don't trust them one little bit

Good man. The life boats for a start just dont look right painted on, the numbered decals just ad to the realism as does the phaser decals. Lets not mention the colour difference between the kit decals and studio model shall we.
As for lighting it, yeah it will be alot of work drilling and cutting out all the windows to be lit and I too am tempted to just finish the thing and BOOM Enterprise!! But then again, I'm kinda on a lighting spree so once I get back to all my old unfinished Trek kits I'm gonna light em all.

So, Mr Face, wheres our progress pics mate?? :armata_PDT_12:

ps, on a slightly related topic, I found the blueprints of the D my brother gave to me years ago, a bit dusty but still informative
Wil, the Kiwi

Recently completed
Ferrari 348ts
Toyota MR2

Current WIP

Anna - V

#9 Face

Face

Warrant Officer 4

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:24 AM

new pics'll be up probably tomorrow... I am seriously plowing through this build as I've got a couple things coming in the mail that I want to focus on when they arrive

youtube twitter

#10 Kila2000

Kila2000

Major General

• Members
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

Oh? Gonna share?
Wil, the Kiwi

Recently completed
Ferrari 348ts
Toyota MR2

Current WIP

Anna - V

#11 Face

Face

Warrant Officer 4

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

you'll find out soon enough

youtube twitter

#12 Face

Face

Warrant Officer 4

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:49 AM

so anyway, I guess you could say that I really plowed through this build... its far from finished yet, but I have to wait for the decals I ordered to come in the mail, so much like my E-E, it's relegated to the 'almost finished' shelf

Like the E-E, I started with the saucer section, sadly I ran out of the paint I mixed for it before I could do the engineering section, but I was able to mix up a new batch that's almost a perfect match. The phaser arrays were masked and painted with a mixed medium dark gray, the same shade I used for the phasers of my E-E.

Mating the neck to the engineering section was a pain, there's a lot of wiggle room where the two parts join and keeping them aligned was tricky... not to mention, the weight of the saucer pulling down on the joint makes it a very high stress connection.

PS the tape is actually reinforcing the joint between the neck and saucer, I had just glued that about 5 minutes before I took the pics...

Not much to say here, the nacelles were sprayed with clear red and blue, the orange bands behind the red caps were hand painted with the same colour I used for the deflector

On the bottom of the saucer you can see the Captain's Yacht, never seen on screen but referred to by fans as the Calypso, after Jacques Cousteau's ship. The yacht is a seperate part, and the docking port is also the mounting point for the saucer when it and the engineering section are displayed in seperated configuration. The display stand is the usual AMT Trek fare, a fairly basic piece shaped like the Starfleet logo, like the bases for my E-B and E-E I painted the arrowhead silver and the backing gold. Not that it matters much as I'll be suspending them from my ceiling when they're finished, so the stands will end up in a closet and only taken out when I take them to shows

Posted Image
Finally had to show the sister ships, they're both the same scale so you can see that although the E-E is slightly longer, the E-D is far more massive in every other dimension

Anyway, with luck my decals will arrive shortly and I can finish these suckers up, until then I'll have to find something else to keep my hands busy!

youtube twitter

#13 Kila2000

Kila2000

Major General

• Members
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:52 AM

Which decals are you getting there Sam? The JT ones or PNT's
Wil, the Kiwi

Recently completed
Ferrari 348ts
Toyota MR2

Current WIP

Anna - V

#14 Face

Face

Warrant Officer 4

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:12 AM

PNT, they have a very comprehensive, 5 page decal set that has all the markings, lifeboats, phaser arrays, Starfleet pennants, transporter emmitters and tons of other little details

at $25USD it was a bit steep, but a far better option than possibly ruining the model with the kit's decals

youtube twitter

#15 Kila2000

Kila2000

Major General

• Members
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:00 AM

Good call, I was looking at the PNT ones for when I get back to my one. Any chance you can post or PM me pics of each sheet when you get them please? You dont get to see too much detail from the PNT site. Oh and by the way, $25 is not too bad a price to pay to get a more accurate result and like you say, you dont to chance 20 year old inaccurate kit decals. Although I had no idea of properly building a kit when I started mine, looking at it now, you can see the decals really dont do it justice. To anyone else planning to do an AMT Ent-D, take a page outa Sam's book and get those aftermarket decals. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Wil, the Kiwi

Recently completed
Ferrari 348ts
Toyota MR2

Current WIP

Anna - V

#16 Kila2000

Kila2000

Major General

• Members
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:08 AM

By the way, dont you just love the front on view of the Ent-D ... Posted Image
Wil, the Kiwi

Recently completed
Ferrari 348ts
Toyota MR2

Current WIP

Anna - V

#17 Face

Face

Warrant Officer 4

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:22 PM

Whoever gave the Enterprise D so many windows is a jerk

took me 3 hours to paint all those... anyway it's essentially finished, all I'm waiting for are my decals, so should be a little less than a week or so

youtube twitter

#18 Kila2000

Kila2000

Major General

• Members
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:38 AM

Whoever gave the Enterprise D so many windows is a jerk

took me 3 hours to paint all those...

LOL, indeed he/she/they was a jerk, I totally hear you in regards to the windows. What the heck do you need windows for anyway? All you'll be seeing is stars wizz by, and why doesn't the bridge ever have windows? :armata_PDT_12: Luckily for you you're not doing the aztec, that was just as much a pain in the butt as the windows. Did you paint them or use gel pens? I hear they work great for this sorta thing.
Wil, the Kiwi

Recently completed
Ferrari 348ts
Toyota MR2

Current WIP

Anna - V

#19 Face

Face

Warrant Officer 4

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:13 AM

hand painted, every one... never thought to use a pen, though I wish I had now

bugger

oh well, it looks great anyway, now I just gotta wait for the damned decals

youtube twitter

#20 Kila2000

Kila2000

Major General

• Members
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:50 AM

hand painted, every one... never thought to use a pen, though I wish I had now

bugger

oh well, it looks great anyway, now I just gotta wait for the damned decals

Ditto on the windows, never though of it until seeing it not long ago on someone elses Ent D. When do ya decals arrive? I wanna see ya complete this one. Great work on a great ship Sam.
Wil, the Kiwi

Recently completed
Ferrari 348ts
Toyota MR2

Current WIP

Anna - V

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users