23 replies to this topic

#1 Face

Face

Warrant Officer 4

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  • Interests:Sci Fi and aircraft mostly

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

Some of you may remember a few years ago, I started building a F-22 Raptor kit from Revell in 1/72, I didn't get too far with it as I just didn't have the chops to do real world aviation subjects at the time, so it ended up tossed in a junk box somewhere... I kinda feel bad about that, as it was a nice kit, just small... But a year or so, I decided to make amends, so I picked up Hasegawa's new(at the time) F-22 in 1/48 scale.

Posted Image
She comes in a pretty big box(45cm/18"x27cm/11"x10cm/4"), and I'll be damned if it don't need every inch of that space...

Posted Image
because she's a big damn plane! Fuselage is about 36cm/14" long, plus the extra inch or so from the runner section attached to the aft end. Wingspan is about 20cm/8" or so... she's gonna be a shelf hog!

Posted Image
The ventral fuselage is a lot more spindly, due to the weapons bay doors, but due to the design of the aircraft, the nose section is only attached by the smallest of connection points... I've got to figure that a few of these might have broken in shipping

Posted Image
Overall, from what I've seen this kit is getting almost universal praise for its design and accuracy, save for one thing... the surface plating. The radar absorbant plating on the real Raptors are very subtle, but the molded detail on the kit is far too pronounced.

Posted Image
It looks damn cool, but isn't strictly realistic.

Posted Image
The ventral side isn't immune either, in fact quite the opposite. Accuracy aside, the tooling is very nice and detailed, all the details are extremely crisp and fine

Posted Image
A complaint that I've had is the tip of the nose, the kit came with these little half ring shaped bits of runner molded to the tip of both fuselage halves to protect it during shipping, but in my case both were broken off, leaving nasty scars on the plastic that'll have to be fixed, you can see the scar here right behind the very tip of the nose

Posted Image
Getting into the rest of the parts, we start with the flaps and intake trunks, as well as the main internal and landing gear bay bulkheads

Posted Image
The kit comes with 2 of this runner, we've got the engine exhaust parts and intake fans, the horizontal stabilizers, missiles and parts for the thrust vectoring nozzles. Also of note, this kit includes a number of internal structural support parts for the fuselage, since there's so much empty space inside, the entire fuselage could be squeezed together with very little effort and could be damaged without them, so kudos to Hasegawa for going above and beyond!

Posted Image
Also interesting, the horizontal stabilizers are molded hollow inside, leaving the one side of the runner open for a third mold part to be inserted in the side allows the stabs to be cast as a single part, so no seams have to be filled!

Posted Image
The kit has 2 sets of doors for the weapons bays, one open and one closed, so unlike other kits that have only the closed doors that have to be cut into pieces to model them open, there's no futzing around with them! The framework for the open doors are also molded as separate parts too. One issue though is that the inside faces of the doors have some pretty pronounced ejector pin marks on them, but they might not be visible when assembled, I'll have to do some testing

Posted Image
Strangely the vertical stabilizers aren't molded as single parts like the horizontal stabs are, but the separation is along existing panel lines, so that's nice. The cockpit tub and canopy framework are on the left side of this runner, and the main weapons bay is on the right.

Posted Image
Lots of detail! Lots of pipes and cables are molded to the surface, this area will respond really well to some washes and drybrushing

Posted Image
Last up for opaque parts we've got the side weapon bays, landing gear parts, cockpit parts, nosegear bay and a ton of other little bits and pieces

Posted ImageFinally, the kit comes with 2 sets of clear parts, one set is gold tinted and the other is colourless, as the Raptor has a gold tinted canopy, and since tinting clear parts is notoriously difficult, Hasegawa went above and beyond by simply giving you 2 full sets!

Posted Image
The manual is pretty standard, has a black and white photo of the completed model at the top with technical and design info about the aircraft in both Japanese and English

Posted Image
Assembly directions are very clear and simple, in the last step you can see the placement of the aforementioned interior structural supports

Posted Image
The decal sheet has markings for 4 different aircraft, representing aircraft based in Alaska, Hawaii, and 2 from Virginia. As usual, they're up to Hasegawa's incredibly high standard for fidelity

Posted Image
Asian market editions of this kit include an extra photoetch set that, tragically is not available with the internationally available editions of this kit... as I bought mine locally, it did not come with it, but fortunately it's no huge loss.

Aside from the overly pronounced surface detail on the fuselage, it is a magnificent kit and I can't wait to get started!
Back from retirement... again...

youtube twitter

#2 Ole

Ole

Commander in Chief

• Administrators
  • 13,475 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:45 AM

Looking forward to seeing this one.... of course you're going to go with a FF version :armata_PDT_12:

#3 Dirkpitt289

Dirkpitt289

Lt-General

• Members
  • 2,831 posts
  • Interests:Muscle car enthusiast, sports nut, Boston Red Sox baseball, New England Patriots football, New Jersey Devils hockey. Plastic model nut!!! USAF Veteran

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:28 AM

There seems to be a tons of little parts in this one. I like the plane a lot and look forward to seeing this build
Regards

Dirk

https://www.youtube....low=grid&view=0

My new Facebook modeling page
http://www.facebook....340467196064920

On the Bench
1/24 Revell Hooper Stuntman Firebird
1/24 AMT Spenser's 67 Mustang 2+2 from the "Spenser:" Movies
1/24 Monogram 66 GT350 Convert Kit Bash
1/24 AMT 55 Cameo Pickup BADMAN conversion

Coming Soon
1/24 Apollo 12 1969 Corvette
1/24 AMT 66 Mustang "Gunslinger"
1/24 AMT 65 Pontiac GTO Major Anthony "Tony" Nelson
1/24 Monogram Pontiac GTO Detective Dwight Hendricks

#4 fortyfourpm

fortyfourpm

2nd Lieutenant

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Interests:Family. Cars. Bikes. Drawing. Reading. Painting.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

Perhaps they exaggerated the raised surface to allow for paint the take some of it away? I'll be watching this one come together, although to me, the F-22 somehow seems to be lacking an aggressiveness that the F-14 and F-18 have.
Dallas

A tidy desk is the sign of a sick mind

http://www.dalrenmodels.co.uk

#5 Face

Face

Warrant Officer 4

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

Well I got started a couple days ago, progress is coming along pretty smoothly, but truly this has to be the most technically complicated model I've built since my Fine Molds Millennium Falcon a few years back, there's literally a couple hundred little tiny add on parts and linkages and other stuff to attach, it's incredibly time consuming! In any case, I'm pretty much done with the basic assembly, and have gotten a start on painting, I'm doing quite a bit of preshading, most of the internal parts are white and I wanted to add some depth and shading. I've also painted the cockpit parts, but need to do a fair bit of detail painting and drybrushing to finish it off. I should be able to get the fuselage assembled by the weekend, then get on to finishing it off... I don't really have a plan worked out for how I'm going to paint this thing yet, as the fuselage has a unique metallic sheen under the lighter grays and I'm really not sure how to handle that... I have a couple ideas, but I need to do some experimenting first, pics'll be coming in a day or so

youtube twitter

#6 Face

Face

Warrant Officer 4

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

I'm gonna come right out and say it... this is hands down, the most fiddly and complicated model I've built since my Fine Molds Millennium Falcon a few years back... there are literally a couple hundred tiny little linkages and detail parts, the nose gear for example are made up of 10 individual parts, 14 counting the wheel, and the rest of the kit is equally complex!

Posted Image
For example, this is the main weapons bay, when fully assembled, it is made up of 41 parts, most of which make up the missile racks in the centre, there are 6 of them, and each of which is made of 4 parts. The 6 AIM-120C AMRAAM missiles are made of 9 parts, bringing the loaded bay parts count up to 95!

Posted Image
The weapons bays fit snugly together in the lower fuselage, and you can see the channels that the intake trunks fit through. Also note the assembled main landing gear bay, and the structural support in between the bulkheads.

Posted Image
The side bays are somewhat simpler, each made up of 11 main parts, mostly electrical boxes and what not

Posted Image
The rail for the AIM-9X Sidewinders are made up of 6 more part, and the missiles are like the AMRAAMS made of 9 parts.

Posted Image
I had intended to display the model with the pilot figure but decided against it once I actually assembled it. Compared to the detail of the rest of the kit, the pilot is extremely sub par, it feels like an old mold taken from an old kit, just with the new helmet added.

Posted Image
The figure has a fair bit of flash, and the arms don't fit the hand controls without tweaking all the parts around, the left arm for example had to be dropped and shifted backwards significantly, just to get the hand to fit on the throttle comfortably. Finally, the instructions themselves tell you to carve a significant amount of plastic out from between the knees in order to fit around the centre console... so in short, I won't be using the pilot figure

Posted Image
The instructions call for the cockpit tub to be painted flat black, but according to my references, it should be a medium dark gray, so I went with my references. I did some minor washing and lots of drybrushing to bring out the details, and I think it turned out excellently

Posted Image
The instrument panel likewise was painted medium dark gray, and responded really nicely to a little drybrushing, those buttons really showed up brilliantly.

Posted Image
The F-22's intake trunks are notoriously long and winding to further facilitate reduction of its radar signature. I did some heavy and gradiated shading along their lengths before painting them white to simulate shadows and depth

Posted Image
I did some shading on the landing gear parts as well, this is the left main gear strut, each are made of 7 parts, plus the gear doors and linkages which add another 3 parts, and the wheel which consists of 5 parts including a polycap.

Posted Image
The nosegear as I said is made up of 10 parts including two clear landing lights. All three struts attach to the fuselage with polycaps, though only the main gear wheels attach with polycaps

Posted Image
The main gear bay is crazy detailed, tons of wiring and raised structural details and what not, it'll really pop when it's all painted and washed. Also notice the numerous structural support parts, they allow the upper fuselage to attach stably and keep the halves from collapsing

Posted Image
The top of the main gear bay is molded to the bottom of the upper wing, a few additional detail parts are added that really makes it look amazing when fully assembled.

Posted Image
The cockpit tub fits nicely into the upper fuselage, the pilot sits really high, affording him an impressive view of everything around him. The upper console and trim was painted a darker shade of gray than the cockpit tub, in retrospect I wish I'd masked the console and painted the trim to match the tub, but I think it'll look good regardless.

I'm a little bit ahead of where I was when these pics were taken, the subassemblies are pretty much finished and the fuselage is ready for assembly, I should be ready to knock it together by tomorrow and ready to paint by the middle of the week!

youtube twitter

#7 Rawhide

Rawhide

Private

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Model building, DIY projects around the house, a little fishing now and then

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

Looking good so far. Can't wait for more updates.

#8 Face

Face

Warrant Officer 4

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

I guess I've gotten a few days behind on this thread, been kinda busy... Progress is coming along though, I'm quite a ways ahead of these pics, in fact she's almost finished!

Posted Image
Cockpits still remain probably my favourite part of any aircraft, but leaving them masked off while I work on the rest of the model has always been a challenge for me... I hate not being able to see what's under there! Fortunately, this kit provides a solution, with a spare canopy!

Posted Image
The pilot sits really high up, and the wide bubble canopy offers a great, unobstructed view.

Posted Image
The canopy I'll be displaying the model with when finished is tinted brown, the lower framing is the same XF80 royal light gray as the nose and leading edges of the wings.

Posted Image
There's a separate frame part that fits inside that the linkage and hinge mechanism are attached to. Makes the whole assembly a little more visually interesting

Posted Image
I was concerned that masking the nose and leading edges would be challenging, but it turned out to be quite simple, as the lines are dead straight and easy to follow, very little trimming is necessary anywhere. The nose was a bit tricky though, as the edge is a little jaggy and hard to follow.

Posted Image
Like I said, the nose was probably the trickiest part to mask, you can see the jaggy edge delineating the nosecone from the rest of the fuselage

Posted Image
The intakes were a piece of cake, straight lines everywhere! I painted the interiors of the intake trunks with flat white, gradiated with shades of gray and black along their lengths. I masked the interiors with tape, and used a rolled up wad of tissue to block the rest of them

Posted Image
The wings and control surfaces were really easy to mask, like the intakes they were just straight lines.

Posted Image
I masked the weapons bay doors with the spare closed bay doors and attached them with white glue... saved me a lot of work fighting with masking tape. The landing gear bays though were masked with wadded up tissue, supplemented with tape

Posted Image
The kit includes 2 of these AIM-9X Sidewinder missiles for the side weapons bays. They're each made of 9 parts... the fins were very fiddly. I painted them XF80 royal light gray, and the tips XF16 flat aluminum.

Posted Image
The AIM-120C AMRAAMs were a bit easier than the sidewinders, because they're larger overall, but are still made of the same number of parts. I painted them the same XF80, but masked the tips and painted them flat white. The kit includes 6 of these for the ventral bay.

Posted Image
I opted to paint the dark gray camo first, then using a soft mask, I would paint the rest of the fuselage. I experimented with the control surfaces and wasn't overly thrilled with how it turned out, so I ended up just painting the camo freehand, but I'll talk a bit more about it when I post the next batch of pics, but I like how it turned out. The dark gray was hand mixed, with XF66 light gray as a base, then a variety of darker grays were added until I hit the right shade

So anyway, I spent most of last night applying the decals, took me about 3-4 hours... that's not even including the decals on the missiles which I did a couple nights earlier, they took another 2-3 hours

youtube twitter

#9 Ole

Ole

Commander in Chief

• Administrators
  • 13,475 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:43 AM

I miss an update and it's almost done... :armata_PDT_12:

Looks terrific though... :armata_PDT_37:

#10 Kyledr330

Kyledr330

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 1,610 posts
  • Interests:Repsol Moto GP bikes and R/C trucks.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

Your moving right along on this one. It's look really nice! That interior has a lot of details! :armata_PDT_34:
WIP: ??? Don't know.

Completed:
'98 YZF - R1 1/12
'98 NSR 500 Repsol 1/12
'99 NSR 500 Repsol 1/12
'00 NSR 500 Repsol 1/12
'02 RC211V Repsol 1/9
'02 RC211V Repsol 1/12
'03 RC211V Repsol "hippie" Valencia 1/12
'03 RC211V Repsol 1/12
'06 RC211V Repsol 1/12

#11 Angelo

Angelo

Commander in Chief

• Moderators
  • 15,020 posts
  • Interests:I really enjoy anything automotive, motorcycling, flying as well as snowboarding and skiing. Oh and model building. Check out my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/angeloz1073?feature=mhee

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

Great work - especially the camo - it's perfect!

Wanna see more? Check out my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.c...73?feature=mhee

Current Works In Progress:
Angelo and Shay 37 Chevy Double Build
1/32 Tamiya F-16
1:1 Harley Davidson Sportster Cafe Racer

Future Builds (in no particular order):
Completion of Model Factory Hiro Ferrari 250 GTO
Tamiya 1/12 Enzo
Classic Hot Rod......Tow Truck?
Knight Rider
AT-6/SNJ Texan

#12 Face

Face

Warrant Officer 4

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

I finished this big sucker off a few days ago, she takes up a lot of space! The F-22 isn't my favourite aircraft, but I had a really good time with this project, and I would highly recommend this kit to anyone who wants to expand their 1/48scale airforce!

Posted Image
I painted the medium gray of the fuselage with a mixed shade, only marginally darker than the colour I used for the leading edges, but I changed the hue a little with some XF9 hull red, as my references showed a very slight red/brown tint to it.

Posted Image
I weathered the jet primarily with artist's oils, starting with the panel lines, then a light wash over the entire aircraft. You can see here the canopy is the second, colourless clear canopy, which I used to mask the cockpit while I painted it. I attached it using white glue so it would pop off easily.

Posted Image
The main weapons bay carries a total of 6 AIM-120C AMRAAM missiles, my references showed that their rocket exhaust spilled out onto the lower fuselage, staining it brown, which I did using tamiya's weathering pastel sets.

Posted Image
Including all 6 missiles, the weapons bay is made of over 90 parts! I left a couple off because they were just too small and fiddly for my giant fingers.

Posted Image
The main landing gear was troublesome, the struts can be removed via polycaps, but one of the pins that attach the one side snapped, so I had to glue it very carefully with superglue. Same as with the weapons bay, I left off a couple of the really tiny parts that really wouldn't be missed.

Posted Image
The side bays are much simpler, but have these neat racks which are set in the deployed position. A skilled modeller wouldn't have that much trouble modifying them to be retracted though

Posted Image
The AIM-9X Sidewinders are each made of 10 parts, the main body, the 4 tail fins, the 4 nose fins and a rocket motor exhaust. Each missile had around 30 decals... very time consuming

Posted Image
I painted the engine parts with Testors model master burnt iron metalizer, and the exhaust faces were drybrushed with XF16 flat aluminum.

Posted Image
The vertical stabilizers were painted much like the fuselage, the light gray leading edges first, then the dark gray camo, then the medium gray over that, but I tried using a soft mask for the edges of the dark gray portion. I wasn't happy with the result I got from that, so after I painted the medium gray, I blended the dark gray camo areas together freehand

Posted Image
I opted for dropped flaps, pretty much because I hadn't done it before, and it makes the aircraft look a little more visually interesting.

Posted Image
The decals on the spine of the aircraft went down fine for the most part, a couple were troublesome as they had to conform to some rather complicated compound curves, but they settled down pretty well with a little solvaset.

Posted Image
Once all the weathering was finished, I sprayed a coat of Tamiya's new XF86 flat clearcoat. I've always used Testors flat clear, but was never really happy with it, as it never got the flat level down as far as I wanted it. Tamiya's new flat clear however, is outstanding in that respect, dead flat, but doesn't shift the colour any, very nice!

Posted Image
I like the missile bays a lot, lots of molded detail, some superdetailing or even just some creative paintwork really makes it pop!

Posted Image
The cockpit, as usual, is my favourite part of the model. I've grown fond of displaying the canopies open, as the cockpit is a real focus point on the model, it's nice to be able to see everything clearly. For the record, the QTip is only there to support the canopy while the glue dries, it won't be a permanent part of the model :)

Posted Image
The HUD was painted X25 clear green, then the trim was painted flat black by hand.

Posted Image
The ACES II ejection seat was made up of 6 parts, and is nicely detailed, but as you can see, no seatbelts. There are resin replacement seats, or photoetch seatbelts to correct this oversight, but I don't like to go overboard

Posted Image
The flight stick was positioned for the pilot's hand when I was still planning to use it, but I wasn't able to recentre it when I scrapped that plan... sad

Posted Image
The F-22's intakes are long and snaking, a feature that helps reduce its radar cross section. There are molded recesses to help with placement of the vent decals, which was a nice touch!

Posted Image
The nosegear doors drove me nuts... you can see the one on the right isn't quite set correctly, no matter what I did, I couldn't get the friggin' things to settle in the right place!

Posted Image
Worth noting is that the raised detail is much less pronounced than it was before I started, I think the 2 layers of primer, then some light sanding, and 3 coats of paint did a nice job of evening out the surface! So, if this has been a sticking spot for anyone looking to build this, then don't fret!

Posted Image
I was surprised just how few decals the kit had on the fuselage, I'd gotten used to having to place dozens of tiny NO STEP markings along the wings, but this kit has none! The surface in fact, has very few of these printed markings, this one, which I can't quite read, is one of only a handful of actual printed markings. Most of the rest, aside from specific squadron markings and a few vent/grilles, could have been painted quite easily. yes... those are fingerprints in the finish... I need to start wearing gloves

Posted Image
The stabilators are attached with polycaps, and are poseable!

Posted Image
See!

Posted Image
The kit has decal options for 4 different aircraft, 1 from Hawaii, 2 from Langley AFB, and this one, from Alaska. Had there been an option for Edwards Air Force Base, I probably would have gone with that one.

Posted Image
The thrust vectoring nozzles were painted using Tamiya X10 gunmetal, and XF16 flat aluminum. I would have rather used testors model master metalizers, because they look more natural and less like paint, but it is virtually impossible to mask those paints without lifting, so I went with Tamiya's

Posted Image
The kit's cockpit is fairly average in detail, not surprisingly there are several resin replacement options already out there

Posted Image
My 1/48 airforce! My F-15E Strike Eagle and MH-53E Sea Dragon are both from Academy, and the F/A-18E Super Hornet is from Revell, if I remember correctly

Posted Image
Aside from being dusty, I'm still pretty proud of my first completed, real world aircraft subject!

Posted Image
I'm gonna say it, I think this is still my best 1/48 aircraft... I wish I could say my Raptor is better, but I'm much happier with my Eagle, I just think it turned out better overall.

Posted Image
And of course, this massive beast, she dwarfs all the others!

Posted Image
Overall, I'm happy with the kit, but not thrilled. Hasegawa did a great job with it, I think I did okay... whatever, I shouldn't be so critical, every model is a learning experience! The real question is, would I recommend this kit to someone else? As long as they don't mind the really fiddly bits, then hell yeah, go out and buy one right now!

youtube twitter

#13 Dirkpitt289

Dirkpitt289

Lt-General

• Members
  • 2,831 posts
  • Interests:Muscle car enthusiast, sports nut, Boston Red Sox baseball, New England Patriots football, New Jersey Devils hockey. Plastic model nut!!! USAF Veteran

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

Outstanding work. The weathering is top notch.
Regards

Dirk

https://www.youtube....low=grid&view=0

My new Facebook modeling page
http://www.facebook....340467196064920

On the Bench
1/24 Revell Hooper Stuntman Firebird
1/24 AMT Spenser's 67 Mustang 2+2 from the "Spenser:" Movies
1/24 Monogram 66 GT350 Convert Kit Bash
1/24 AMT 55 Cameo Pickup BADMAN conversion

Coming Soon
1/24 Apollo 12 1969 Corvette
1/24 AMT 66 Mustang "Gunslinger"
1/24 AMT 65 Pontiac GTO Major Anthony "Tony" Nelson
1/24 Monogram Pontiac GTO Detective Dwight Hendricks

#14 peter

peter

Commander in Chief

• Root Admin
  • 13,388 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Music, Model Building...

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

Man, I can't believe I neary missed this build all together. Excellent review of the kit and excellent work on documenting the build. Another fine effort Face, good work. What's next on the bench?
Last three completed
MechaGodzilla
Ferrari 348TB
Bandai Pegila

In Progres
Yamaha YZR-M1 (2004)
Garamon
Hummer

My Art Blog
My Kayak and Fishing Blog

"The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it." Arnold Glasow

#15 Ole

Ole

Commander in Chief

• Administrators
  • 13,475 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:30 AM

Nice job on the F-22... bit sad you didn't do a Langley plane... :armata_PDT_03: .. otherwise a great build. Maybe the addition of seat belts would be my only comstructive comment.

#16 Face

Face

Warrant Officer 4

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

Man, I can't believe I neary missed this build all together. Excellent review of the kit and excellent work on documenting the build. Another fine effort Face, good work. What's next on the bench?

I refer you to the garage section... I'll be getting started on Tamiya's Aston Martin DBS in a couple days!

youtube twitter

#17 Kyledr330

Kyledr330

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 1,610 posts
  • Interests:Repsol Moto GP bikes and R/C trucks.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:02 AM

Great work!! That jet has some great detail on it! I think you did a fantastic job!! :armata_PDT_37:
WIP: ??? Don't know.

Completed:
'98 YZF - R1 1/12
'98 NSR 500 Repsol 1/12
'99 NSR 500 Repsol 1/12
'00 NSR 500 Repsol 1/12
'02 RC211V Repsol 1/9
'02 RC211V Repsol 1/12
'03 RC211V Repsol "hippie" Valencia 1/12
'03 RC211V Repsol 1/12
'06 RC211V Repsol 1/12

#18 Rawhide

Rawhide

Private

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Model building, DIY projects around the house, a little fishing now and then

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

Well done Face it looks really good. I have the Revell F-18E and F-15E both in my stash. I've been really wanting to build the F-18 but have been afraid to because I've read some kit reviews that say it has a really dicey fit in some areas. I think I might wait and get some more builds under my belt first. It looks like yours turned out rather well though.

#19 nipponrookie

nipponrookie

2nd Lieutenant

• Members
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:Riichi Mahjongg and modelling.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

Great work Face. The sublimated decals add a nice touch of realism.

Cole

"There ain't no slack in fast attack"

Next up: Mid Year eXercise 1/12 Lola T70 Mk III

Work in Progress: '09 YZR-M1 #99 

Last Completed:

Ships;  IJN Submarine I-47
Motorcycles; "Shiro Bai"
Aircraft; JGSDF AH-1S Cobra
Autos; Mazda Savanna RX-7
Armor: IJA Type 97 tank

#20 sgthawker

sgthawker

Corporal

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

WOW! This bird looks awesome. :armata_PDT_37:

You mention polycaps for the stabilators, and that they allow positioning of the piece. What are polycaps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users